Friday, May 26, 2006

Steak 'n' Shake

Dean and I have gotten in the habit of eating out on Thursday nights instead of Friday nights. It's a nice treat to not have to cook on Thursdays, and I am more relaxed to take my time and enjoy cooking a nice meal on Fridays.

Since it was Dean's turn to choose, we went to Steak 'n' Shake. After enjoying a low key meal, I got up to pay the bill. Why, you may ask, should I pay the bill when it was Dean's choice to go to Steak 'n' Shake? This is a very well-thought out clever plan. I generously insisted on treating Dean to dinner (~$15) and then when go to a nicer restaurant on Saturday (Carrabba's or Lai Thai) he will feel obligated to pay.

I got up to the register and that's when I saw him, working the grill flipping burgers. A student I had in the Physics II Lab course I taught last spring. A student I had to fail and I didn't even feel all that bad about it. He seemed bright enough, just not motivated. He had a couple unexcused absences, frequently turned in incomplete data sets and never turned in any homework. I recall him vaguely asking about extra credit. On the day it was due. Despite my reputation as an easy-going and at times lenient instructor, I had to draw the line somewhere. So he failed.

And on the way home Dean and I speculated on exactly what may have been in our food if he saw me sitting at the table.

8 comments:

Scott said...

As long as he didn't wink at you or anything. Can you imagine what it must be like to be a cop or a judge? You'd probably only eat at restaurants with owners you trust.

lefty_grrrl said...

A) He wouldn't have seen you.

B) Whatever you got to eat, he only cooks the meat and toasts the buns. Someone else works the fryer and someone else works the condiments.

C) I used to work at Steak n Shake when I was a teenager. Nothing like that EVER happened at our store. That's not to say that it doesn't happen, but I think it would be rare.

D) I love Steak n Shake honey mustard. Yum.

mr. schprock said...

This is a bad story for young people to read. It shows how you can flunk a course and still turn out a big success.

Runner Girl FL said...

Ack!! hehehe!! I have noticed the ones that pay the least amount of attention to me in class are the ones that notice me the least when they leave. I might see them and know but they seem to have forgotten me. :)

magnetbabe said...

scott~
Or walk in saying "Don't spit in my food or I'll shoot!"

lefty~
You worked at Steak 'n' Shake? If I tell Dean he might leave me for you. Never tried the honey mustard. That's a must for next time.

mr schprock~
This guy has upper management written all over him. Too bad he wasted his time taking a useless physics class.

rg~
Good point. Though I avoided eye contact, it didn't seem like he was especially avoiding me.

brainhell said...

Americium?! Nah - he's not that smart.

Some day soon he'll BE a cop -- or a judge!

Big Feet said...

At the Steak n Shake I go to, we at least know the employees are clean because there's a shower for them in the kitchen...

magnetbabe said...

bh~
Oh no! It's too evil to even think of! Both the Americium and the thought of him enforcing law! I have to go cry in the corner.

big feet~
Oh that's a great comfort. Cute (big) shoes!!