Thursday, September 28, 2006

Old Friends Revisited, Part II

Remember Angelina Fettuccine? Well, she's my other "old friend revisited" that I promised my readers. Out of the blue when I was in Minneapolis, I got an email from her titled "Surprise! It's me!" I was shocked. And delighted. She said she had first contacted my dad looking for me and he gave her my email address.

The internet is a wonderful thing. If she would have called me up, I would have been at a total loss for words. Instead, after quickly acknowledging her email and telling her of my recent nuptials, I took a couple days to work on getting her updated. I spent a couple minutes a day here and there thinking of things I wanted to tell her.

She is still living in New Mexico with her husband. She works for the same large financial firm that my dad does, she has two dogs and no kids yet. She said when she does, she wants them to grow up with a best friend just like me *sniffle*.

After we got caught up, the reminiscing started. We are still exchanging emails frequently, renewing our friendship- a task made remarkably simple in the information age. In our adolescence I always felt like I was the one working just a little bit harder. I am pleasantly surprsed at the promptness and fervor of her communication. I send her a message, and hear back within the hour. I am the one to often wait until the next day to resume the discussion. I like this change in her, and see how badly she wants to rekindle our bond and how deeply she finally values what we shared growing up. I am a realist. I know that it may die off, we may again get busy with our lives. But this time I feel more confident that if we drift apart, we will find our way back.

6 comments:

Runner Girl FL said...

Drifting happens and is a part of moving on to better things...its how it is left adrift that matters. This time it seems it will be fonder than last time.

Scott said...

Wow Nat, this is totally awesome! I love it when I connect with an old friend, and find out how much they missed me. I always think I'm the one doing all the missing. What a nice validation for the person that you are to have someone regard you so. Believe me, I know the feeling. It's absolutely glowing.

Natalie said...

rg-
I agree. I think the fact that it doesn't seem forced helps a lot.

scott-
I know, and I wrote this after your post yesterday which I felt was pretty similar. I feel like I do most the missing too, but then again we both seem to be pretty tapped into our emotions.

Scott said...

True dat sister!

Hot4Teacha said...

I feel like this every time you come back to MN! It's awesome.

I have the same problem as Lefty every time I go back to my hometown - seeing people I don't wanna. Then the awkward running, usually accompanied by falling down (as I'm like drunk at the time).

Yet my mom still wonders why I don't go back to Duluth more.

Anonymous said...

THIS PLEASES MORE THAN YOU'LL EVER KNOW. NOT HAVING KEPT UP A FRIENDSHIP THAT HAS LASTED THAT LONG I HAVE ALWAYS FELT BAD THAT THINGS WITH YOU AND ANGIE WERE ROCKY. SO MANY OF THE PICTURES OF YOU THAT I HOLD DEAR TO ME (4TH 5TH 6TH BIRTHDAY PARTIES, THE SNOWSTORM OF 1991 ETC) ALL INCLUDE ANGELINA FETTUCCINE ( A NICKNAME GIVEN BY WHO?) HANG IN THERE WITH HER, I MISS HER TOO....