Thursday, August 02, 2007

I'm Okay

Hey All-

Just wanted to post a quick not to let you know my family, friends and I are all safe. Yesterday's catastrophe came as a huge shock. As you probably have learned the 35W bridge over the Mississippi is a major artery and things will be disrupted here for quite some time. To give you some perspective, the exit off of 35W just over the bridge heading north was only a few blocks from where I lived as a student at the U of MN. My family and I used to traverse it regularly to see one another. The Twins play just to the south and my mom and step dad work close by at Hennepin County Medical Center, the level one trauma center where the injured were taken. They were pretty much on call all night but not needed. My mom, step dad, his family and I were out to dinner when we first heard the news and we couldn't get a good picture of what was happening. There were conflicting reports from restaurant patrons and nobody's cell phones were working. It took us awhile to finish our dinner and make it home. Seeing the demolished bridge just a few miles from our home being flashed on CNN rendered us all speechless.

Dean is flying in to Minneapolis tonight (we planned this several weeks ago) so I will be away until after the weekend. Again, thanks to all of you who checked in with me, I truly have a national network of people who care. I am one lucky girl.

3 comments:

fermicat said...

Glad to hear it. This was truly shocking news. I hope they will get to the bottom of why it happened so events like this can be prevented in the future.

jenbeauty said...

HUGS I am glad you and yours are well!

Kelly said...

I am glad to hear that you are alright. This is such a travesty! I feel for the families who lost loved ones that day.