Friday, August 31, 2007

One Thing Meme

Beth made her own meme! Because she made it herself, she is kickass and I'm going to participate. Also, she didn't tag anyone and like her, I'm just going to invite you to do it on your own blog or leave any of your answers in the comment section. Okay, here goes...

1. If you could recommend only one book for others to read, what would it be and why?
The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger. Something about this book just really resonated with me. It was completely original. It was the perfect blend of being exceptionally written with an addictive plot. I'm not into science fiction really but the way the author played with the concept of time and perspective amazed me.

2. What is your one favorite song? Why?
This is tough because I like so many genres that I can hardly say one rock song is better than one classical song or whatever. Right this moment, my favorite song is Heart of Life off of John Mayer's Continuum. It is simple and melodic and beautiful and says what it needs to just perfectly.

Pain throws your heart to the ground
Love turns the whole thing around
No, it won't all go the way it should
But I know the heart of life is good.

3. What is the one thing that is the biggest time saver in your life?
Brushing my teeth and peeing at the same time. That's all I could come up with.

4. What is one gadget you couldn't live without and why?
I've only had it for two months, but I already couldn't imagine life without my iPod!

5. If you could recommend one film for others to see, what would it be and why?
An Inconvenient Truth. It should be required viewing for everybody. If everyone saw it, maybe people would finally get serious about making sacrifices to save the planet.

6. What is the one cure or preventative measure you believe in and for what ailment?
Curing the hiccups: fill a glass of water, bend over and drink out of the glass from the side furthest from you, tipping the glass away from you to let the water flow over roof of your mouth before swallowing. I don't know why it works, but it works. Every. Single. Time.

7. What is the best advice you've ever received and from whom?
From my mom: don't engage in any sort of relationship with toxic people. This minimizes drama and stress and lets you focus on what is really important. It seems so simple, yet time and again I see other people making this mistake.

8. If you could introduce the entire world to just one band/musical artist, who would it be and why?
The Bad Plus. I see them live every year when I go home for Christmas. They are all Minnesota/Wisconsin boys and play shows locally when they go home to visit their families for the holidays. They are really well known in the jazz community, but I truly think people who aren't jazz fans would find their musics infectious.

9. If you could convince others you meet or know of one thing, what would it be?
Question everything. Be a skeptic. Now more than ever this country is rampant with liars and selfish people claiming to be sticking up for your interests. Before you believe anything anybody says, do your own independent research.

10. What do you believe is one of the greatest ways of wasting money and how do you combat it?
Without a doubt paying interest is the biggest waste of money ever. It is unavoidable and I am still paying off credit cards from when I was young and stupid even though I haven't actually charged anything to them in close to two years. But the best way to minimize paying interest is to simply live within your means. Don't buy a car or home without actually saving up a sizable down payment. Avoid financing appliances, furniture and electronics unless absolutely necessary.

4 comments:

Beth said...

I have read The Time Traveler's Wife because it was suggested by so many women to me. Very romantic book more than science-fictiony to me.

I've never heard your favorite song or your favorite band or done your time saver, but that last one made me laugh out loud.

I had to say your film choice and way people waste money were just excellent. Two years ago, my husband and I bought a truck and financed it. We'd never done that before. We always saved and purchased a vehicle outright. WORST decision of my life and I can't even get rid of it. Uck. And I wish everyone cared just a 'little' bit more about the planet because even one little change would make a big difference if it were a group effort.

fermicat said...

I also loved The Time Traveler's Wife. It was a unique and well-written novel. I don't consider it "sci-fi".

I agree that paying interest is a colossal waste of money. It is necessary for most of us to buy a home, but for everything else it is good to pay as you go. After my divorce, I walked away with a mountain of debt, but I paid it all off and said "never again." Since then I pay my credit card balance in full every month and I paid cash for my car. It feels great not to have any debt other than the secured mortgage on our home.

Scott said...

I've been thinking about your book choice since you first brought it up a long time ago. Mark this down: I'm reading it next.

Great answers to the questions. I'll give this a crack later on. Besides, Beth is kick-ass and she deserves to have a meme make the rounds.

Beth said...

Thank you, Scott. Memes are selfish. At least mine are ... I get great recommendations from them and I really am nosey ... er ... curious about you guys and gals.